Yesterday, I had to say a very, very sad goodbye to my kitty Max.
Max was given to me as a gift for my 19th birthday. He was the cutest kitten I had ever seen. A little plump ball of fluffy black and white fur. Max was there for me through some really tough times; we made a lot of moves together. He was my first kid. He was such a quirky little guy who loved to get high. I am totally serious. He would lick the nicotine off of smokers fingers and he would roll around in the bathroom sniffing the fumes of the cleaning products whenever I cleaned our bathrooms. He was so funny.
Unfortunately, there have been some signs in the last couple of months that told us that something needed to be done. I decided that yesterday was the day and I asked J if he would take Max to the vet to be put down because I knew that I could not bear it. My one request was that J stay with Max and pet him until the very end. I came home from work early and cuddled Max. J was gone for almost an hour and when he returned, he was pretty shook up. For such a tough man who hates cats, Max was obviously special to him. He described to me how it went and assurred me that it was incredibly humane. He told me that Max was given something to calm him and that he got extremely high from it. Kind of makes me happy that he could go out that way, since he loved to be high! The vet did an exam of Max and advised J that there were nodules on his left kidney and that he was going into renal kidney failure and that we were doing the best thing. That also made me feel better to know that we spared him any additional pain and sickness.
I am feeling at peace today. Sure, I still have my moments, but that would be expected since he was a part of my life for almost 12 years. Rest in peace Maxwell Napoleon. You were the best kitty I could ever ask for.




2 comments:
Chrissy, I'm so sad! Max totally rocked. I always love seeing pics of him because he was stuffed full of personality! I'm glad Jarrod was there with you to support you through it. What a good man!
I believe in a tender hearted God that lets us have our pets in heaven. Here's to that and Max and my Beethoven!
Awww, thanks Trish. He certainly was a character! I picture him bouncing around in kitty heaven with all the kitties that I have had in my life that are now gone.
Yes, thank goodness for J taking Max to the vet. I just could not do it. I would have been a much bigger wreck if I had been the one to go.
Post a Comment